Saturday, August 10, 2013

Single Layer Card Challenge

This is a card I made for the Lawnscaping Single Layer Card Challenge. Masking isn't my favorite technique to do because it's hard for me to visualize that many steps ahead, but I agree with everyone  that the reveal is like Christmas morning...when you've done it right.

I started this card by cutting out an oval shape from some masking sheets, along with one for the branch, the owl, and the moon. 

I put on the negative mask for the branch and used the Gathered Twigs Distress Ink. I then stamped the owl in Archival Black Ink because I wasn't quite sure what technique I would use to color him. I covered up the owl, the branch, and the moon with the appropriate masks. With all the masks on I did a combination of Tumbled Glass, Faded Jeans, and Black Soot Distress Inks to paint the night sky. I then removed the moon (circle) mask and laid over the negative circle mask and applied Scattered Straw and Wild Honey Distress Inks.

To finish it off, I colored the owl with Prisma Colored Pencils, and stamped the stars with Versamark ink and used an iridescent embossing powder. The stars needed more definition so I stamped the outline star in black and used a little white colored pencil to lighten them up a bit.




I used my score board to score two lines on the top and two lines on the bottom to anchor the image and added White enamel accents to the eyes and glitter to the moon for extra pop.

I love how the branch and the owl look three dimensional even though they aren't.  The little bit of white around the edges looks like the light of the moon catching the back of the branch.


Happy Stamping!


5 comments:

  1. this is adorable, luv the owl...hope you have a wonderful day!

    enjoy *~*

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my, I love this card
    Love the dimension in the card!!
    Thanks for playing with us at Lawnscapinng, hope to see you next time again :)
    xx Tamara

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!!! Had to look twice at that branch - it looks so 3d! This is such a wonderful onelayer card! Love Everything about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AWESOME scene!! love all the elements and your masking is fabulous! thank you for playing a long with us at lawnscaping!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing colouring Terri - HUGE CONGRATS on your win!!!

    ReplyDelete